Polokwane 012 6667138

Damp Walls and Your Health

health

Damp Walls and Your Health

A slight leak can’t be ignored. Although you might not notice immediate water damage, mold growth and bacterial growth can begin within 24 – 48 hours of a moisture intrusion. Damp houses have been proven beyond any doubt to cause lung illnesses, and a multitude of other illnesses as well.

Along with that, dust mites are more inclined to be in a home with higher humidity and moisture.

Here are 4 reasons to get rid of dampness in your home:

Bacteria: Moisture is the major breeding ground of bacteria. Bacterial colonies grow on damp organic material, like wall boards and floorboards. What’s more worrying is, no amount of cleaning or anti-bacterial detergents can clean as fast as bacteria spreads in the presence of dampness.

Pests: When water damage is at its highest in a home, there’s higher chance of mouse allergens as well as a higher chance of cockroach allergens. We find that these types of homes in general are not healthy environments for asthmatic kids. Cockroach and rat waste is known to trigger asthma.

Dust mites: If you’re allergic to dust mites, you’re all too familiar with the stuffy nose, sneezing, itchy eyes, lung problems and even asthmatic symptoms that they cause. Dust mites thrive in warm, moist environments. To keep dust mites out of your house, you should keep your home as ventilated as possible. Air conditioning has proven to be helpful to people with dust mite allergies, as it simultaneously cools and dries the air, so that it’s not too humid or moist.

Mold: We know that people get sick from living and working in damp spaces. The things that make them sick all relate to dampness. Mold, the smell, the visibility of mold, becomes an indicator. Emerging data suggests that mold can cause respiratory illnesses and allergic reactions. However, whether the illness is directly a result of mold and exposure to mold, or whether it is a result of mold and other biology that are encouraged to grow because there’s water is often difficult to deduce. It could be the reason you’re ill or could just be an indication that you have damp walls.

There’s no shortcut or quick remedy for damp walls. If you see mold growth, you need to eliminate the source of moisture and remove the damp material. The best way to get rid of damp walls is by allowing free flow of ventilation or by calling a specialist in the field to get rid of the problem for you. You can take a stand against respiratory illnesses by stopping moisture in its tracks.